This week we're continuing on this study/wealth seminar as taught on the Believer'sVoice of Victory program on Trinity Broadcasting Network by Pastor George Pearsons
from Eagle Mountain International Church in Fort Worth, Texas.
So without Further Delay:
Warning: Beware of Covetousness
Foundation Scripture: 1 Timothy 6:17-19
“Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches,
but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; that they do good, that they be rich
in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; laying up in store for themselves a
good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.”
A. 1 Timothy 6:9-10—While Some Coveted After
1. Paul knew that covetousness was a great temptation of the rich.
2. He also realized that covetousness motivated people who wanted to get rich.
3. Covetousness (HEB) = insatiable craving, greed and lust for more—especially at the
expense of others
a. Proverbs 22:16 (NIV-84): “He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth
and he who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty.”
b. Jeremiah 17:11 (NIV-84): “Like a partridge that hatches eggs it did not lay is
the man who gains riches by unjust means. When his life is half gone, they will
desert him, and in the end he will prove to be a fool.”
4. Covetousness (GK) = a desire for things that exceeds a desire for God
a. Matthew 6:24 (MSG): “You can’t worship two gods at once. Loving one god,
you’ll end up hating the other. Adoration of one feeds contempt for the other.
You can’t worship God and Money both.”
b. Psalm 119:36: “Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.”
i. MSG: “Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling
5. Covetousness results in disaster.
a. 1 Timothy 6:9-10 (MSG): “But if it’s only money these leaders are after, they’ll
self-destruct in no time. Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble.
Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to
regret it bitterly ever after.”
b. Verse 9 (NLT): “But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are
trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and
c. Proverbs 15:27 (NIV-84): “A greedy man brings trouble to his family.”
i. NLT: “Greed brings grief to the whole family.”
d. Ecclesiastes 5:13 (NLT): “Hoarding riches harms the saver.”
B. Disastrous Results of Covetousness
1. 2 Kings 5:27—Gehazi was the shrewd servant of Elisha. Even though Elisha refused
payment for the healing of Naaman, Gehazi’s greed got the best of him. He collected
payment anyway and ended up with leprosy as punishment.
2. 2 Chronicles 26:5, 16, 21—As long as King Uzziah sought the Lord, God made him to
prosper. But the stronger he got, the more greedy and prideful he became. The result
was destruction. He became a leper and remained so until his death.
3. Matthew 26:14-16, 27:3-5—Judas hung himself for betraying Jesus for thirty pieces
4. Acts 5:1-11—Ananias and Sapphira fell dead for holding back their money and lying
5. Take note of present-day examples of covetousness—those involved in “Ponzi schemes.”
C. Luke 12:13-21—Warning: Beware of Covetousness
1. Verse 13: “And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that
he divide the inheritance with me.”
2. Verse 14: “And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?”
3. Verse 15: “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a
man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”
4. Verses 16-17: “And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain
rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall
I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?”
5. Verse 18: “And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater;
and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.”
6. Verse 19: “And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many
years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.”
7. Verse 20: “But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of
thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?”
8. Verse 21: “So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
(Pay me to advertise for you OR get FREE advertising)